The wandering umbrella.



This umbrella has been around the world with me, but it rarely saw the light of day [or rather, gray skies of rain] in places like Egypt. I finally brought it out in a serious way here in England, and one day, upon returning home, I set it down, still partly open, in the shoe area at the bottom of the stairs to dry out.

A few days later I noticed that it had disappeared.

A day or two after that, Ella and I headed to the nearby Tesco Express for some groceries, and in the yard of a house halfway there, there was my umbrella - closed up and lying in a complete stranger's yard.

The most likely explanation is a drunk roommate, but I prefer to think that my umbrella had caught the travel bug and wanted to see more of the world for itself.

Although if that's the case, it should've tried a little harder - every time we walked by for the next couple weeks, it was still lying there. I'm not sure how the people in the house didn't notice a strange umbrella in their yard for that long.

But it's gone now, and I just hope it's fulfilling its dream and seeing the wonders of the world - although probably just on rainy days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment