Germany, in snippets.

Freiburg: English-language theatre, celebrating my 25th birthday with poker one night and free ice cream at a Mexican restaurant/bar the next night, being pleased that a friend I encouraged to try OkCupid had found a nice Dutch man there, lunches with past and current bosses [both of whom had offered to let me crash for a few nights when I wasn't sure where I was going to stay - I have the best bosses!], Portuguese-language theatre, running in the Sternwald, having my favorite meal in Freiburg - a baguette and Apfelstrudel from Aspekt - a few times, staying with my flatmate from when I studied abroad there five years ago [!!!], having Badisch tapas [just the right amount of Käsespätzle!] with her and her boyfriend, having Döner a couple times, the memories, oh the memories...

Biberach [near Ulm]: staying with my Brazilian tandem [language exchange] partner, sleeping with two sweatshirts and a hat because her heating left much to be desired, wandering around Biberach with its beautiful Fachwerk...

Berlin: failing to get Berlinale tickets, making ourselves feel better with a wander through the garden of Tacheles [a squat taken over by artists] and awesome Indian food...

Dresden: being tired and sick and not really interested in doing anything, but managing to meet Jöbin at the university for lunch [salad with tuna - I learned something at that fitness holiday!] and walk back across town [photos below], lots of movies...






The last time I was in Dresden, with my scouts, the Frauenkirche [destroyed in the war] was still being rebuilt - this time, it was all done.




Other side of the Frauenkirche.







For some reason I've always remembered this mural from when I was there with the scouts, so I was pleased to stumble upon it again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment