Prague: a post in which there is not a single "Czech" pun.

After I had lost a few pounds and inches, it was off to winter - I mean, Prague. At least Czech food is perfect for cold weather. Mmmmm, goulash and dumplings [pretty sure I didn't keep those pounds and inches off for long...].




Statue on the Charles Bridge.




YES.

And also...why?!?

But mostly...YES.

And also...check out that creepy face in the bottom left of the back window. Not sure what that's about.




Czech National Museum, Wenceslas Square. [The name of the square always makes me think of Hugh Grant and his chauffeur in Love Actually. I'm such a philistine.]




A German member of the Prague CouchSurfing community offered to give me a little tour one afternoon. One of the points of interest was the oldest rotunda church [not sure of the technical name] in Prague and one of the oldest in the country overall.




We went to a cemetery where a lot of rich and/or famous Czech people are buried - some of the graves are really ornate. I asked whether Václav Havel was buried there, thinking to myself, "Yesssss, I may be from the US, but look, I know some things about other countries!" [Never mind that I mostly know him from the passing mention in the musical Rent...] He said, "Well, he probably will be, but he's still alive." Oh. I was slightly embarrassed. He tried to make me feel better by adding, "But I'm sure he won't be alive much longer!" Well...thanks!




A view from near the cemetery.




An art nouveau building, including windows spelling out PRAHA.




Art in the public library, made of books.




With mirrors inside at the top and bottom to make it look as though the books go on forever. Heaven? I think so.




Old Town Square.



As already mentioned, the good CouchSurfing times continued in Prague - besides the personal tour, I met up with a French/German guy and a Brazilian girl to go to karaoke [mostly expats, but a few real Czech people, too] and went to the weekly German conversation meeting. I don't think I'll ever stop loving CS!

0 comments:

Post a Comment