Islamic Cairo.

I know that seems redundant, but the area around Khan el Khalili [the bazaar] is particularly known for its old Islamic architecture. There's also an area known as Coptic [Christian] Cairo.

















What looks like just a pattern of squares actually spells out "Mohammed" in very abstract, blocky Arabic.













Juice cart on the street. Featuring doom juice!







Of all the places of worship I've been to, I like mosques the most. They feel so much more calm and peaceful, thanks to the high ceilings, the rugs instead of hard pews, and the lack of gaudiness that's so common in, for example, Catholic churches. Simple, comfortable, peaceful.






A World Cup game was on, and when we stopped to look at a TV to see who was playing, the old man watching invited us to sit down and join him for some tea. He was the owner of the lighting store the TV was set up outside. Oh, he was a doll. He spoke about as much English as I spoke Arabic, but Waleed and the other guys who sat down to watch helped us communicate. Waleed told them that I was German and said I shouldn't tell them that I was American, which I was a little surprised by, because I hadn't really experienced any real anti-American sentiment so far [in fact, I never did the whole time]. Besides that, it was one of the highlights of the evening. I wish I had gotten a picture, but I didn't want the guy to feel like a tourist attraction or anything.

We ended the evening with a variety of sandwiches, including Egyptian sausage [too spicy], liver [too liver-y], and brains [juuuust right - seriously, the brains sandwiches were delicious!].

0 comments:

Post a Comment