East Glacier, Montana: Blackfeet country.

I finally arrived at East Glacier, Montana, expecting a menagerie of German and American scouts to pounce, but there was no welcoming committee, and I was sad. Finally, one of the employees at the train station told me I had a message telling me to call the scout camp the group was staying at. Theresa said, "Didn't you get any of our voicemails or texts? You were supposed to get off at the stop before Glacier Park!" I had forgotten my cell phone in San Francisco, and it hadn't arrived in Portland before I left there, so no, I hadn't gotten any of their voicemails or texts. Oops.

All I could do was hang out in East Glacier until the Empire Builder going in the other direction came through that evening. Luckily, it was a beautiful day and East Glacier is just full of adorable Americana.





The train station.













The world's largest purple spoon! Wow!







Stopped at the "world famous" Whistle Stop Restaurant for lunch, apparently "voted best huckleberry pie, bbq ribs & chicken" [or is it just the huckleberry pie that was voted best? and in what area? presumably the world, if the restaurant is world famous, I guess].




Had a cheeseburger and a microbrew, the Bayern Dancing Trout [see, the fisherman on the bottle is dancing with the fish].




And THE WORLD'S BEST HUCKLEBERRY PIE. It was pretty good. Apparently the area is known for its huckleberries.




The lobby/common area in Glacier Park Lodge, a resort lodge right by the train station.







"Glacier National Park Gateway" - the other side of the bridge/tunnel says "Welcome to Blackfeet country." The Blackfeet are the local American Indian tribe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment