The Minnesota State Fair.

St. Paul just gets better and better - it is also home to the Minnesota State Fair.

[The day I went, you could get a discount on admission if you had a library card, I think mostly just for libraries in the Cities. The lady asked me whether I had one, I said I didn't, and she winked and said, "Yes you do." Nice! I *do* have a library card for the Barcelona public library, though, so I guess it wasn't a complete lie.]





Snoopy is excited. [Charles Schulz, the creator of Peanuts, is from the Twin Cities.]




And...um...dinosaurs are also from the Twin Cities? I have no explanation for this.




A few big buildings are given over to 4H, a youth organization that's particularly popular in rural areas. They raise animals, sew clothes, make furniture [I saw an awesome bed made by an eighth grader], bake...and the best are given awards. The ones at the state fair have already won awards at the county level. Here's a sampling of the prize honey on display.




And, of course, there were rides.



But a state fair isn't really a state fair unless there's a parade and lots of fried food. Get excited for the next posts!

0 comments:

Post a Comment